Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Why, Walmart, why?

Almost every time I'm in Walmart and I happen to pass by the clothing section (or notice it), one particular brand catches my eye: Faded Glory. I first noticed this in the lingerie section--I was passing, not purchasing--and I was struck by how utterly awful that name was for lingerie. Seriously? Faded Glory? Isn't that just a bit of a downer? I mean, why put on lingerie at all if you're planning to wear Faded Glory? I just can't wrap my head around it--it bugs me every time I see it.

And I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, but now there is Faded Glory apparel for teenagers. That's just sending the wrong message. But at least the clothes had some color, as opposed to the Young Adult section in books, which may as well have been a Goth display. Apparently YA is the new black.



I myself am reading the Sarah Laurence-recommended, black-covered Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. And loving it! And its funky, swirly purple font.

10 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I just happen to be wearing... you guessed it. Faded Glory jeans for men! I hadn't thought about the name but I can get away with it being a guy right?

Alyssa Goodnight said...

You're kidding, David! Once again you have me laughing out loud!

Al said...

As a marketing concept it seems to flop, badly.
It's like saying "our product used to be good, but now it's past it's best."
Weird.

Sarakastic said...

I'm thinking of starting a clothing line called "I Used to Look Good"

Anonymous said...

Oof--what a terrible name for clothes!

性感的我 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Keri Mikulski said...

Interesting..

Travis Erwin said...

Great points!

Stacy said...

I have no comment on the clothes (unless you care to hear about Faded Glory and sweatshops in Jordan; I'll assume that you don't), but I used to love the LJ Smith books in my teens, which are some of the "goth" books pictured. :)

Sarah Laurence said...

Funny observations! Yes, paranormal YA fiction is usually black and purple. I guess that’s better than pink. I’m glad you enjoyed Beautiful Creatures too. I actually really liked that cover.