Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Got a minute?

My tenth wedding anniversary passed without event--my husband and I had talked of taking a trip somewhere, but nothing ever came of it. Now, almost five years later, I'm getting my trip! Thanks to uber-low fares from Southwest, we are flying to Portland, Oregon this fall, just the two of us. And while this greatly anticipated trip is still months away, I've already started planning.

It seems like I'm hearing about Portland in some way or another almost every day. In magazines, on the blogs I read, on the Food Network--Portland, I'm convinced, has A LOT to offer. So now I'm on the hunt, scrounging to find all those mentions that seem to have hovered in my brain right up until the very moment that I need them--right now!

Don't get me wrong--I've already jotted down several not-to-miss spots (like the Waffle Window!), and I intend to be diligent in my further search (including a perusal of all Diners, Drive-ins and Dives spots and Throwdown with Bobby Flay venues). But I could use some help. If you are in possession of knowledge that could help me find the Best of Portland (and surrounding areas)--outdoors, shopping, eateries, you name it--I would truly be in your debt.

If we work together, we can really make this an awesome vacation for yours truly. And doesn't that sound like a noble pasttime? I knew you'd see it my way. I'll look forward to your comments.

6 comments:

Sarakastic said...

I've heard that the waffle window is good. well that's a lie but i looked at their website and people who put bacon on waffles can't be bad.

Al said...

Hi Alyssa, thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog.
What a nice thing it is to have time to plan a big holiday like yours to Portland. Planning ahead can make a holiday so much more relaxing and fun at the same time. But a few spontaneous decisions while you are there could be fun too. Some of the best times we have had on holiday have been in those last minute changes or detours.

Kate Diamond said...

Where are you staying? I LOVE the Benson Hotel! You can often get a good deal on priceline for their rooms. Also, they have an excellent champagne brunch.

Of course you must go to Powell's Books.

In terms of food: I enjoyed El Gaucho. There's a very lively Greek place whose name escapes me (big purple octopus over the door). And next time we go, I am dying to try VooDoo Donuts! It's supposed to be really good.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Kate!
I'll let you know about the window, Sarakastic. :)

And Al, I totally know what you mean. I just like to have a few must-see's on my list to balance out the little surprises.

Barrie said...

I've never been to Oregon, but I'm SURE you'll have a wonderful time!

Runny Babbit said...

if waffle window is anything like waffle house, it'd be good with me! :) jason just went to portland for work and said it's a really pretty state--very scenic. have fun!