Friday, September 07, 2007

Writing Distractions

We've got Gilmore Girls, Season 5 from the library right now and are slowly plugging our way through it. After all this time, all this build-up, all this sexual tension, it's so hard to believe that Luke and Lorelai are finally together. It's almost weird. I like that they're still being so snippy with each other even though they're in the throes of new love. Any-way...it's kind of funny, because my husband--the one who never wanted to watch the show in the first place and then was totally gung-ho and addicted--he had a little bit of a melt-down at the end of Season 4 when Rory made some bad choices. I think it was sort of difficult for him to start watching again. Slowly, but surely though, he's forgiving her. Hee hee hee.

As everyone knows, I'm a big, big, HUGE fan of Jenny Crusie's, so whenever she's working on something, I make it my business to find out what it is. That's how I discovered BenBella Books. I read Flirting with Pride and Prejudice (edited by Jenny Crusie) and really, really enjoyed it. It's not really my kind of thing, being a collection of essays on the classic, but it totally worked for me. (And then, coincidentally, about nine months after I'd read it, my sister called me up for the express reason of telling me about this book. She never does that).
After reading it, I looked over BenBella's list, and they have a vast collection of books on pop culture. Now I want to read Coffee at Luke's (also edited by Jenny Crusie, essays on, you guessed it, The Gilmore Girls) and Nepture Noir, essays on Veronica Mars, edited by the shows creator, Rob Thomas. I need to save some money, because the library doesn't have them.

2 comments:

Sarakastic said...

I was just thinking the other day how I'm having Gilmore Girls withdrawals. I guess I've just pretending that the show is on hiatus, but now that it's fall, I can't pretend anymore. I will definitely be buying this book though.

Kat said...

I love everything Veronica mars.