Friday, December 08, 2006

Thrown Off Schedule

I had plans for yesterday. Yesterday was a writing day, with a teensy bit of Christmas shopping and grocery shopping thrown in too. Or at least that's the way I intended it. That is not at all how the day played out.

Minutes before I left to take my older son to school, I got a call from my little one's Mother's Day Out. (You can see where this is going, right?) The director says to me, 'I'm calling to see if you would be interested in subbing today in the nursery.' My mind is suddenly in a whirl. I'd expected my husband or mother-in-law--the only two people who typically call me that early, and my thoughts weren't clicking through right. Here's what's going on in my head:

Would I be interested in subbing? I wouldn't really classify my decision to volunteer in that way.

The nursery!? With a roomful of babies who don't know me? I'm already tired.

What about my plans for the day? My writing...

Well, I said okay. And then made a mad dash to get everything ready to go in time to be there at nine, including change my clothes, eat my breakfast, pack my lunch, and get a package ready to deliver. Amazingly, we were on time. Or at least almost.

There were five little toddlers, ranging in age from 12 months to 18 months, and I must admit, I really had a good time. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that they were all such good-spirited, happy babies (and that the real teacher didn't make me change any diapers). Only a couple of them cried, and only for a few minutes. Mostly they smiled and giggled and danced and played. There was no disciplining and no separating. They all got along, and we spent the morning being silly. Then there was lunch and nap, which lasted about an hour and a half of the five hours. So the real teacher and I sat in the dark, listening to sleepy music and talked about our kids.

And then...before I knew it, it was time to go home. I had time to quick run to the post office before picking up my older son, and my whole day was shot. And at the risk of sounding extremely corny, it was shot through with sunshine from five little angels.

3 comments:

Beck said...

Lotsa babies! That's fun, if you only do it once in a while. I love toddlers - they're so cute. And just imagine how supercharged your creativity will be when you ARE able to get back to your writing!

Stacy said...

Maybe you just have a way with children. If I'd been in the nursery, the toddlers would've been throwing their sippy cups against the wall.

Kat said...

I get sleepy after watchinf 12 2 yr olds! you go girl!