Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Maybe I'm Too Sheltered...

Today I have something on my agenda besides writing, volunteering, and the general minutiae of life.  And I wish I didn't.  I long for the calm, quiet days of working diligently, peacefully, with little human contact.  (Sounds great, doesn't it??)  But today, I must interact.  Today I have to go to court.

I have never been inside a courtroom.  All my expectations are being culled from Perry Mason, Legally Blonde, and other Hollywood creations.  I'm anxious to see how the real thing measures up.



I didn't imagine picking an outfit for this project would be so difficult, but when I went into my closet last night, thinking to quickly pull something together, I realized I have no spring/summer dress pants.  Really.  I have jeans, courduroys, track pants, yoga pants, but no pants appropriate for court.  I have capris, but they don't seem serious somehow.  I really didn't want to wear a skirt or a dress, but I ended up in one anyway.  I'm wearing a long black skirt with a subtle pattern, a black blouse and a black blazer.  I feel very grim.

Luckily, they're looking for a character witness and not a fashionista.

I've already had the pre-game with the lawyer this morning, and that was relatively painless.  He even indicated that maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't have time for me.  That possibility thrilled me to pieces.  I want to be helpful--I totally do--but I can see myself breaking under thes stress:   The lawyer for the opposition asking me a question, and me saying, "No, but--"  and him bellowing, "NO FURTHER QUESTIONS!"  Maybe I'm working myself up for nothing.  But this is a big deal.  It's not my big deal, but it's a big deal for a friend of mine.  So I'm tense with nerves and anxiety...and maybe a little nausea.  And my heartbeat is crazy erratic.  I need to calm down.

Good or bad, I will be treating myself to a theraputic slice of lemon meringue pie when it's all over.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

I've never been in a courtroom either.

Enjoy your pie when it is all over.

Sarakastic said...

if it makes you feel better not only wouldn't I have appropriate clothes, I also wouldn't have appropriate shoes, so you totally have me beat. Good luck!

David Cranmer said...

I am always excused from jury duty because when the lawyer interviews me as a potential juror, I look 'em in the eye and say "I can spot a guilty person just like that" and I snap my fingers.

Al said...

Hope it went well.

Lemon Meringue pie will cure a lot of ills

Anonymous said...

I hope things went well. Bummer about no pants.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

You have me wondering if that's true, David. :)

Thanks for all the good luck wishes. It went as well as it could. With the exception of the pie.