Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Last Lingering Days of Spring

I feel like I'm living on borrowed time. The weather here has been lovely--mid sixties in the morning, warming up into the low eighties, clear skies, cool spring breezes, and low, low, low humidity. It's only a matter of time before the skies cloud up, the temperatures shoot up, and the humidity mugs up the days and nights here in south Texas.

I'm reveling in every last gulp of dry, cool air, taking longer walks, squeezing in bike rides. My family ate both lunch and dinner outside on our patio last Saturday, and it was lovely. Everything is more pleasant in this weather. I had to get gas today, and I actually enjoyed waiting for the thirty gallons to pump into my Suburban (I know!)

I dread summer. Much of it I love: swimming, vacationing, snowcones and ice cream, summer fruits and grilling... But the weather here is just overbearing. Going outside between the hours of 7am and 9pm is much like getting smacked in the face with a warm wet washcloth and then having it settle over your body like a cape. And the heat--we're talking 100 degrees--doesn't let up till late October. Rainy days bring out the mosquitos in droves and crank up the misery yet another notch. It's crazy bright, and blue skies are incredibly rare--mostly we get a gauzy cloud cover for miles in every direction. And when there are fires in Mexico, we have a hazy grey smog. Oh, and it's hurricane season too...until October. (I should really write for the Texas Bureau of Tourism.)

But right now, it's lovely, and I plan to take full advantage. Maybe tomorrow they'll be pictures...

4 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

Love this time of year too! Enjoy! :)

Beth said...

And I’m still very much looking forward to summer…
My sister once lived in Bermuda but came home to Canada every summer – the heat and humidity there was unbearable. Sounds very much like what you must endure.

E said...

Alabama is the same way! People just don't understand that the humidity makes all the difference. I don't care if it's the same temp in Montana...it's not as hot!

Anonymous said...

I hear you--enjoy the balmy weather while you have it--too soon it will turn for frigid or beastly (depending).