Monday, March 15, 2010

I Got Bread!

Well, technically I got starter--Amish Friendship Bread starter. I don't know if I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I have never been on the receiving end of any 'bread starter'. From anyone. I'm not sure if that means I'm not the kind of friend that inspires a puddle of yeasty goo in a Ziplock. Or maybe it just means I'm never in the right place at the right time. Either way though, last night, I got some!*

Of course I splayed the bag out on the kitchen counter to admire it and subsequently poured over the instructions, topped with a little Amish horse and buggy clipart--totally authentic. I scanned them first, as is typical for me, and noticed the breakdown of tasks over the next ten days and the mention at the end of dividing it up to give away starter bags to new friends. And, of course, the warning that only the Amish know how to make this starter, so if all of it is given away, I'll have to wait around till someone offers me some again. (And given my track record, I'll no longer be baking then...)

Then, I move on to the recipe itself. And with the applesauce, vanilla, and cinnamon it is sounding very yummy. Then I reach the last ingredient: 1 large package of instant vanilla pudding. Instant vanilla pudding?? I didn't notice any of that being whipped up during the movie Witness. I'd heard this bread was yummy--and why not?? It has an entire package of pudding in it!

Well it's bubbling away on my counter right now. My older son has followed today's directions already: "Mush the bag". Unlike most chores, he was happy to do it.

Oddly enough, those directions had me thinking about the possibly of a 'friendship bread' blogger-style. What might that entail...? I'm looking forward to my Amish Pudding Bread.


* Well, I guess, technically, if I'm being honest, it was given to the family by my son's friend's mom. That will shortly be conveniently forgotten.

9 comments:

Daniel Dragomirescu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarakastic said...

Ok here's my version of blogging bread: I've been toying around with an idea ever since Stacy wrote a story about me and told me to finish it which I still need to do. I think it could kind of be like a blogging chain where whichever blogger gets mentioned in the story writes the next part.

Gage said...

i LOVE Amish friendship bread! i swear, the scent lingers in the kitchen for weeks after i bake it. congratulations on being the recipient! it's always nice to be included in the bread club.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

That idea sounds like it could get very interesting, Sarakastic!

Al said...

I think "Amish friendship starter"
is just a regular sourdough starter with milk and added.
Sourdough starters are very easy to get going.
I've started sourdough from scratch a number of times.

Sarakastic's idea sounds intriguing. Count me out though I just don't have enough days let alone hours at the moment.

Al

Publish or Perish

Anonymous said...

I've done this before--and years ago the "Amish Friendship Bread" was known as "Herman" in our house. It is yummy stuff.

Keri Mikulski said...

Sounds yummy. :)

E said...

Can you send some in the mail to me?

Or maybe that doesn't count...I want to be a starter sort of friend too!

;)

David Cranmer said...

You taught me something new. I was completely oblivious to Amish Friendship Bread.