Sunday, March 28, 2010

Good Stuff

Well, surprise, surprise...the friendship bread turned out to be a smashing success. Despite the hassle, the disgusting goo that occasionally oozed onto the kitchen counter when we struggled to let excess air out of the bag, and the tumorous growths on the edges of both loaves.
Both of my squeamish eaters loved it. (What's not to love, right? Vanilla pudding mix, applesauce, and cinnamon sugar...) It was completely polished off. My older son even asked me today if we could find out the secret Amish recipe for the starter. I made sure to give away all the starter bags since I didn't want to squeeze and smush another bag for another ten days. I told him we could look online--hopefully he'll forget all about it for awhile. Maybe until we make a new 'starter friend'.

It amused me to see the following entry on last week's Publishers Lunch Deal News: "Darien Gee's novel of a town brought together by a loaf of Amish Friendship bread". I can see definite possibilities there.

I'm ending the weekend reading the latest Crusie/Mayer novel, Wild Ride. (And delighting in the fact that she visited yet again and left two more comments. I feel like a minor celebrity.)

2 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Yes, Vanilla pudding mix, applesauce, and cinnamon sugar is wonderfully sinful.

Anonymous said...

Good on all counts! Bread, author, book, blanket!