Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Movie News

I have admitted, here or on someone else's blog, that I've never read a Nancy Drew book. (I used to get up early on Sunday mornings just to watch The Hardy Boys with Parker Stevenson and Sean Cassidy, but that's another story). And that said, my opinion on this topic may mean little, but I just have to rave about the 2007 Nancy Drew movie!

I watched it with hubby a couple nights ago and we were both very pleasantly surprised. I admit, I thought it would be another in a string of so-so teen movies, but I really got into this one. First of all, I LOVED that they portrayed her as retro--from her clothes to her car--to her sleuthing gear, complete with a single-serving canister for a blondie, she was perfectly adorable. I totally want my own travel canister and someone to fill it with a fresh, warm brownie every morning...

But beyond that, I thought it was clever (with what I assumed were several light-hearted allusions to the original books) and cute, just like the girl herself. Obviously, I checked to see whether there are plans for a sequel--there are!--and I'm hoping that the end-of-the-movie phone call Ms. Drew received from Scotland about the Loch Ness monster is a big ole hint. That would be just perfect.

Hubby and I give this movie four thumbs up.
(And for any of you who used to watch The Land of the Lost, they're coming out with a movie this summer--with *yikes!* Will Ferrell!)

5 comments:

Sarakastic said...

I've never read the books either but I really liked the movie too.

Alyson | New England Living said...

I never read the books either. I've been wondering about the movie. I'll have to check it out now! I think it's on demand right now.

I never saw Land of the Lost, except in clips on tv about old shows. But, I must imagine, with Will Ferrell it will be hilarious!

Stephanie J said...

I read several of the books when I was younger and loved them! Very worth the read. They have some cool book groupings that you can get at B&N. I love that Nancy Drew wasn't written by one person but carried on!

I want to see the movie! Thanks for reminding me, I might need to hit up Blockbuster this weekend!

mslizalou said...

I loved the Nancy Drew books when I was growing up. I've slowly been replacing those I lost.

I also thought they did a wonderful job with the movie. Emma Roberts was the perfect cast for Nancy Drew. I loved the retro feel to Nancy and was really glad they didn't try to change the character.

Barrie said...

I really enjoyed the movie too. And I just re-read The Secret in the Old Attic! Loved it!