Sunday, August 10, 2008

Let the Games Begin!

Let me just say that we have been ensconced in the Olympics since the awe-inspiring Opening Ceremony on Friday night. Seeing as I personally love the Olympics, both winter and summer, I've been trying to hype it to my boys for months. Any longtime readers of this blog will remember that we even themed their birthdays around the Olympics all the way back in January.

Well, my hyping worked beyond my wildest dreams (at least for my older son).

First of all he begged me to record the list of countries in order (all 204 of them) in his journal as they marched in for the Parade of Nations. Being a big Rockets fan, he was thrilled to see Yao Ming lead the Chinese into the Birds Nest.

Then yesterday, the Olympics were on all day at our house, and he was the our Master of Ceremonies, switching between various NBC channels to find the best and most interesting coverage, calling out a play-by-play during the qualifying heats of swimming events, and constantly asking when men's basketball would be on.

Luckily today he's backed off slightly, but it could be because he just got home from a Padawan Boot Camp where a pretty authentic Obi-wan Kenobi taught a crowd of younglings some basic lightsaber dueling moves. But I'm sure recovery will be swift and shortly we'll once again be hearing chants of 'U. S. A...U. S. A!' throughout the house. Unless of course the U.S. isn't competing, then it could be 'Can-a-da! Can-a-da!' We've found he's not so picky.

Two weeks left of this...

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Be careful what you wish for. hehehehe

I'm watching the Olympics myself right now. I don't do the actual chanting but I am pretty fickle myself. :)

debra said...

I'm taking a brief break from women's gymnastics. My swimming daughter is waiting.......

Beck said...

Canada DOES have an awesome country name for chanting...

mslizalou said...

I love to watch the swimming, diving, and gymnastics. I'm only getting to see a bit each night, but I'm loving it so far.

Unknown said...

clearly i've been derelict in my olympic supporting duties, but i just can't get into them. never have. sigh.