Sunday, April 08, 2007

A Weekend of Surprises

We celebrated Easter yesterday, thinking the weather would be better than it was today. We were up at my in-laws lakehouse--a cabin sort of house where you pretty much plan to spend most of your time outdoors because it gets cramped with too many people inside. Well, my husband's parents and my parents were there, and then us (hubby, two boys, and me). We didn't go outside. After 80 degree plus weather earlier in the week, it was drizzly, cloudy, murky, and in the low forties. So...we all stayed inside. We ate, watched movies, boys played computer games (my husband and father-in-law are included in that grouping), and just lounged and vegged. It felt very odd to me. And then, in the evening, it started to snow--just a little--great big chunky flakes falling down and melting instantly as it was 42 degrees.

I did finish Tantalize (which I mentioned last week)--actually I read the vast majority of the book yesterday. What can I say except Wow! I am so impressed. It's a YA book, but it's about a seventeen year old and really very freaky and creepy. So many twists and turns and surprises, such a fun heroine, so many zany and quirky characters. I really, really loved it. The author, Cynthia Leitich Smith mentions at the end how there's a 'nod' to certain authors, one of them being Maurice Sendak. I totally missed that, darn it. I highly, highly recommend it and will probably be buying it for my niece for her birthday (after I check with her mom that she can handle it in all its glory).

Also...I watched The Holiday (with Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, and Jack Black), which I'd been going to see right before Christmas but didn't. I saw Stranger Than Fiction instead (and it was great). Anyway, I loved it too! It had all the stuff I liked: great setting--the house swap looked like so much fun, really interesting characters, romance, comedy, that special touch of quirkiness--PERFECT! I think I'm actually going to buy it as I think I could watch it again and again. Jude Law was adorable, but I just LOVE Jack Black. Much like I LOVE Ben Stiller. I find quirky very appealing.

Oooh...also, I tried a couple of Harry Potter Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans when my sons were too chicken. They each got a pack from the Easter Bunny, including a mix of tasty and not so tasty flavors. I've now tried Black Pepper (strong) and Soap (really kind of gross). My gramma used to threaten to wash my mouth out with soap, and I now know it would have just been nasty. After I braved it out, both boys tried Grass and said it wasn't too bad. None of us have yet tried Booger, Vomit, Sardine, Earthworm, Earwax, Rotten Egg, or Dirt. And I'm not sure we ever will...

6 comments:

Stephanie J said...

Hey Alyssa! Glad to hear you had a good weekend! I have to tell you how much I loved "The Holiday" too! It was so good and I loved Jude Law in it. He reminded me of another movie he did a long time ago called "Music From Another Room." And Jack Black...no clue that he could do romantic comedy but wow, I loved him!

And just so you know...dirt, and sardine taste just as they say! Haha! I haven't tried the others, but I'm adventurous so I'll let you know. ;)

Kat said...

My boys went camping in the fun weather. I love the books you talk abput I'll read them and always end up loving them. Thanks!

Stacy said...

You won't try those beans? Wimps :) It's kind of sad when "dirt" is the most appealing of the flavor options.

Beck said...

Ha, I want to get a box of those jellybeans for my kids.
Glad to hear The Holiday is good, and Jack Black would win out over Jude Law ANY DAY in my world.

Erica Ridley said...

What a great weekend! (Er, except for the soap beans. Yuck!) I'm off to find that book...

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you had a great Easter. We had an unexpected snow storm which turned out to be fun for the kids. I need to restack my TRB piles. This book sounds interesting.