Thursday, July 27, 2006

A Nice Little Change of Pace

Last night I spent some time with my husband. Imagine that! The past few nights I've been on the computer, poring over blogs, writing, or brainstorming my website redesign. So it was a very nice, relaxing break. We watched Proof, a movie starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Jake Gyllenhaal (so cute!), and Anthony Hopkins, but one I'd never heard of until I read a little snippet in my husband's Popular Science magazine. It was about mathimaticians and was, I thought, quite good...funny. Gwyneth's character was one of those you have mixed feelings about. She'd taken care of her father but was bitter; she was horrible to her sister, but said sister was intrusive and irritating. She was stand-offish and rude, but still, you were rooting for her. I thought it very interesting, and a nice change.

Lately I've been reading a lot of good, quotable quotes--the pithy, humorous kind that leave you with that, 'so true' feeling. But once I read them, they disappear from my memory almost instantaneously. I won't wear any CafePress gear emblazoned with the sentiments, I don't put little plaques up around my house, I don't keep a journal, so what is there left to do but read them and forget them? But wait...this is a journal...maybe this blog should be the future depository for these witty quotes! Here's a sample...

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, always paddling like the dickens underneath." --Michael Caine

More to come...you've been thusly warned.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I guess if something really resonates then it sticks in your brain - maybe not the actual words, but the sentiment.

Sara Hantz said...

I love quotes, but like you.... in one ear and out the other....

I don't know that film at all - but great cast. I'll look out for it.

Christina Phillips said...

I can never remember quotes. Most of the time I can't even remember what people told me less than an hour ago!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I think for me to remember it, the quote needs to be short and sweet. Rhyming would help too ;).