Saturday, July 29, 2006

Cake and confusion

Just back from a wedding and the best wedding cake I have had in quite some time. I always get myself excited about the cake and then it's a bit of a letdown. I'm one of those people when asked, "Buttercream or Lite" blurts "BUTTERCREAM!" Anyway, this cake was delicious with a layer of pineapple filling so thin as to be almost undetectable. Maybe I imagined it. Right after the cake was cut (to my sons and I, it seemed to take forever), my little one says to me, "I want you to get me the people piece." Meaning the piece with the little bride and groom. I had to break it to him...he has to get married to get that piece. So, of course, he was satisfied with a plain old sliver.

Finished Incognito and really liked it. It was a light, breezy read with still plenty going on and interesting characters. I hope Suzanne Allain will eventually have another book out. Right now I'm simultaneously reading Cheating at Solitaire by Ally Carter and Kiss Me, Annabel by Eloisa James. I used to read historicals almost exclusively and then slipped into reading contemporary romance and then chick-lit while I was writing my historical. Now I'm writing a contemporary and wonder if I shouldn't really try to multi-task and simultaneously work on a second historical--so I'm reading Regencies to get back in that frame of mind.

I'm in a bit of a writing quandary. I feel any fans I might have had as a result of my first book won't necessarily be interested in my second--they're nothing alike. So I'm torn. My first book was self-published, and right now I can view it as stand-alone, being a completely different entity than a traditionally published book. But I do have some fans, many of whom are asking where book #2 is. I could tell them, but I don't think it's the book they're waiting for. Trouble is, I only have some vague ideas about another historical--nothing really gelling it all together. And I don't want to deal with a lot of revisions and rewrites simply because I dove in blind. So I'm thinking about it....and getting a headache.

No comments: