Saturday, June 03, 2006

Amazon Buy

As an addendum to my last blog...last night my husband told me he’d thought of the perfect actor to play Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code. Not only that, but it was indisputably the best choice. His suggestion was Val Kilmer, and I have to admit, I think he’d be pretty darn good. I loved, loved, loved him in The Saint, and I think he could easily pull off the sexy professor look.

Today I’m blogging about my total satisfaction over my recent Amazon order. I haven’t ordered in a long time, but I just love getting packages of shiny new books. This time my order consisted of three items (to ensure I was eligible for the Free Super-Saver Shipping). They were the Dixie Chicks new CD, Taking the Long Way, a book for my sons: Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride, by Kate Dicamillo (author of Because of Winn-Dixie), and for me…Jane Austen’s Guide to Dating. The last may seem a somewhat odd choice, but I read the descriptions for the book (and the author’s credentials—she wrote her dissertation on courtship rituals in Jane Austen’s novels), and I just couldn’t help myself. I’m only as far as the first chapter, but I find it rather fascinating. I really only ever had one boyfriend, and he became my husband, so I don’t really know much of anything about dating. And this book is actually a guide for the modern single woman. Already I consider it a good purchase. I’ve only read one of Jane Austen’s novels in entirety (Pride & Prejudice), and of course, I’ve seen a few movies, but now I feel newly inspired to read each of her novels. I sort of feel left out having missed them.

As to the other two purchases…I LOVE the album. I’ve always been a big fan of the Dixie Chicks. And Mercy Watson is just the perfect combination of endearing and humorous. It’s illustrated by Chris Van Dusen, whose 50’s-style illustrations have me wanting to collect each and every one of his books. So…you could say I’m very happy with my purchases and already planning another buy.

I’m also reading Don’t Look Down by Jenny Crusie (my fav) and Bob Mayer and The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares (loved the first book!) , with another book on hold at the library for me! I’m almost giddy with excitement!

No comments: