Monday, April 03, 2006

Kids Today...And The Movies They Inspire

I saw Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Sunday with my sons. We all liked it, although I thought that maybe it was a smidge too long. Still, there was something for everyone. That seems to be a new trend in kids' movies, which is very nice for adults. And suddenly there are tons of kids' movies coming out. My sons and I have started making a list…one for every month.


April: The Wild
May: Over the Hedge
June: Cars, Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties
July: Monster House
August: There is one, I know. I just can’t think what it is…
September: Open Season
October: ???

November: Happy Feet
December: Charlotte’s Web

Seeing as these ‘kids’ movies are almost exclusively the only ones I see in the theater, I’m kind of excited about them myself. There is an impressive amount of cleverness required to write/direct/produce a movie that both kids and adults can both really enjoy.
What I don’t’ appreciate is some of the language they use. Not bad language, per say, just stuff I don’t want my kids saying. I’ve noticed that recently in kid’s books as well. I love reading Barbara Park’s Junie B. Jones series to my sons (and they eat it up), but the things that come out of that girl’s (Junie’s) mouth are a bit dicey. Just makes my job as a mom a little bit trickier. I think I’m up to the challenge…

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I like the family oriented movies myself. Being that I don't have kids though, I walk in and hope I don't run into anyone I know. :)

When I went to see Madagascar, I stepped into the theater only to hear my name announced at the top of someone's lungs - from the back row. I went back there, to sit with my friend (who was there with her family) and she said "You do know this is a kid's movie, don't you."

Um, yeah I do, what's your point. ;-)

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Hi Lucy,
Know that you are not alone. I owned Aladdin and Toy Story before I had any kids, and my husband likes watching teen movies.

Thanks for stopping by,
Alyssa

RC said...

The Ant Bully comes out August 4th and as far as October...Flicka comes out, but it's not animated.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Thanks for filling in my blanks, RC! Nice blog!

Alyssa